Re: system freezes with ext3

Marc-Christian Petersen writes:
 > On Wednesday 30 October 2002 16:58, read_news@c-hoehne.de wrote:

 [...]
 > The flashing of LED's seems that SuSE has the morse code if panic() in the
 > kernel. I've never heard of ext3 freezing the mashine and I also never
 > experienced this kind of thing. ... I assume you were in X?

As an answwer: i am not able to install any linux distribution with a kernel
below 2.4.19 :-( The machine freezes in the install process when installing
with a kernel of version e.g. 2.4.18

Yes i was in X (KDE)

 > Please test this again without beeing in X.
 >
 > A small stress test can be:
 >
 > while true; do dd if=/dev/zero of=/largefile bs=16384 count=131072; done
 >
 > this will create a ~ 2gb file in / named largefile.
 >
 > You should see an oops/panic output if the LED's are starting again flashing.
 > The output of above you have to feed ksymoops with.

I've tested this in the following ways:
But first my /etc/fstab so you're knowing what i'm talking about
------------snip---------------------
/dev/hda4            /                    ext2       defaults              1 1
/dev/hda2            /data1               auto       noauto,user           0 0
/dev/hda3            /data2               auto       noauto,user           0 0
/dev/hdb1            /data3               auto       noauto,user           0 0
/dev/hdb2            /data4               auto       noauto,user           0 0
/dev/hdb4            /home                ext2       defaults              0 2
/dev/hda1            /windows/C           vfat       users,gid=users,umask=0002,iocharset=iso8859-15,code=437 0 0
/dev/hdb3            swap                 swap       pri=42                0 0
devpts               /dev/pts             devpts     mode=0620,gid=5       0 0
proc                 /proc                proc       defaults              0 0
usbdevfs             /proc/bus/usb        usbdevfs   noauto                0 0
/dev/cdrecorder      /media/cdrecorder    auto       ro,noauto,user,exec   0 0
/dev/cdrom           /media/cdrom         auto       ro,noauto,user,exec   0 0
/dev/dvd             /media/dvd           auto       ro,noauto,user,exec   0 0
/dev/fd0             /media/floppy        auto       noauto,user,sync      0 0
------------snap------------------------------

Before every step i restarted my computer logging into kde as normal user and
then switching to a console window, logging in as root.

1. step: I mounted the partitions /data4 and /data1. These are ext3 partitions.
Started the suggested command from the console for /data1. After 5 minutes or
so i switched to an other consolewindow and started the command in parallel
for /data4
nothing unusual happens.
After that i make sure that both partitions are mounted as ext3. They were.
So i switched to KDE started the DSL connection and Opera. Browsing for 15
Minutes in the internet and nothing unusual happens.

2. step: i have edited /etc/fstab so that / and /home are mounted as ext3, (/
   and /home are ext3 partitions.)
starting the commands for both partitions. After 20 minutes the system still
   runs. I decided to conect to the internet. After typing a URL in Opera and
   pressing <enter> the system freezes. And, it wouldn't start again. After a
   reboot i landed in the editing mode of grub. So i must restart my system
   using the installation dvd. This procedure started my recovery system on
 /data3.
After logging in, i was not able to mount /dev/hda4 (/)
defect superblock:-(
So i do an fsck.ext3 on /dev/hda4
After that i could restart my system.

3. after the desaster from step 3 i tried to log into KDE start DSL and
   browse.
system freezes again but this time without defecting the root-partition.
4. I edited /etc/fstab so that / and /home are ext2 again.
Since then all is fine again.

What is the conclusion?

I do not know. Does anybody else have one.
Ciao,
Carsten