Re: signal 11 on fsck

On Oct 24, 2002  10:00 -0600, Marius Zydyk wrote:
> The problem:
> ------------
> [root@angel root]# fsck -V -t ext3 /dev/hdg1
> fsck 1.26 (3-Feb-2002)
> [/sbin/fsck.ext3 (1) -- /dev/hdg1] fsck.ext3 /dev/hdg1
> e2fsck 1.26 (3-Feb-2002)
> Warning... fsck.ext3 for device /dev/hdg1 exited with signal 11.
>
> [root@angel root]# fsck.ext3 -V
> e2fsck 1.26 (3-Feb-2002)
>         Using EXT2FS Library version 1.26, 3-Feb-2002
>
> [root@angel root]# fsck.ext3 /dev/hdg1
> e2fsck 1.26 (3-Feb-2002)
> Segmentation fault

I would still guess that there is a RAM problem.  Try removing half of
your SIMMs at a time and see if that helps.

I presume that there is nothing useful in dmesg output?

> Anything I can do to get the data back and recover the partition? In a
> pinch I could stitch together some disk space to copy the partition
> contents somewhere and blow it away, then put it back, would that help
> anything? (a relative newbie here, sorry if that's a dumb question...)

Just move the drive over to another system and run the fsck there.
I bet it will work.  Failing that, you could compile a version of
e2fsck which includes debugging symbols so that gdb prints out some
more useful information.

Cheers, Andreas
--
Andreas Dilger