signal 11 on fsck

System info:
------------
[root@angel root]# cat /etc/issue
Red Hat Linux release 7.2 (Enigma)
Kernel \r on an \m

[root@angel root]# uname -a
Linux angel 2.4.9-34 #1 Sat Jun 1 06:25:16 EDT 2002 i686 unknown

This problem occured after upgrade to kernel 2.4.18-17.7, backed out to
previous version now (2.4.9-34). All other system RPMs are up to date
according to RHN, and nothing, aside from Apache/PHP, is compiled from sources.

The problem:
------------
[root@angel root]# fsck -V -t ext3 /dev/hdg1
fsck 1.26 (3-Feb-2002)
[/sbin/fsck.ext3 (1) -- /dev/hdg1] fsck.ext3 /dev/hdg1
e2fsck 1.26 (3-Feb-2002)
Warning... fsck.ext3 for device /dev/hdg1 exited with signal 11.

[root@angel root]# fsck.ext3 -V
e2fsck 1.26 (3-Feb-2002)
         Using EXT2FS Library version 1.26, 3-Feb-2002

[root@angel root]# fsck.ext3 /dev/hdg1
e2fsck 1.26 (3-Feb-2002)
Segmentation fault

Trying to mount the file system:
--------------------------------
[root@angel root]# mount /dev/hdg1
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hdg1,
        or too many mounted file systems

tune2fs is able to get the partition info, and it LOOKS correct to me (at
least it matches the other, working, drives). If the details from tune2fs
would help I can forward them as well.

gdb session (FWIW):
-------------------
(gdb) run /dev/hdg1
Starting program: /sbin/fsck.ext3 /dev/hdg1
warning: shared library handler failed to enable breakpoint
e2fsck 1.26 (3-Feb-2002)

0x08055d92 in ?? ()
(gdb) bt
#0  0x08055d92 in ?? ()
#1  0x08056537 in ?? ()
#2  0x08049b6d in ?? ()
#3  0x080678e2 in ?? ()

:(

This is replicable across reboots, and in single user/recovery mode.

SEGV could mean bad memory, so I run memtest86 overnight, and no problems.
(Still, no guarantees I guess.)

Downloaded and searched through the Ext3 and Enigma mailing list archives,
and there were some references to sig11 on fsck, but nothing comparable
(involving SCSI/RAID or removable devices), or the answer is, basically, we
have no idea.

Anything I can do to get the data back and recover the partition? In a
pinch I could stitch together some disk space to copy the partition
contents somewhere and blow it away, then put it back, would that help
anything? (a relative newbie here, sorry if that's a dumb question...)

Any other info you would need to troubleshoot/solve this problem?

Any help whatsoever would be appreciated at this point,

TIA