Re: EXT3-fs: unable to read superblock

Hi,

On Mon, Oct 07, 2002 at 01:54:15PM -0400, froggy@step.polymtl.ca wrote:
> I used the installation CDs of RedHat 7.3 to reinstall my Linux system.
> I reformated the / partition with Disk Druid in the ext3 format so I
> guess my initrd file was correct after the installation. Still, I was
> not able to avoid the error message. Repeating this process with the
> installation CDs of RedHat 8.0 did not help.
>
> To avoid it, I used again the installation CDs of RedHat 8.0 to
> reinstall my Linux system but this time, I asked Disk Druid to format
> the / partition in ext2 format.

Installing from scratch?  Installing the boot loader where?

> I guess that if I reinstall RedHat 8.0 with / as an ext3 filesystem, the
> bug (or confuguration problem) would come back.

I do it all the time, and it's the default filesystem for all Red Hat
installs, so it's definitely not a problem inherent in all ext3
installs.

> If you can tell me what
> files I should look to (for debuging purposes), I would be pleased to do it.

It's hard to know now that you seem to have it working.  This sort of
boot problem normally happens only when people get their boot
configuration wrong, it's rare to see it on a complete fresh install
unless you've left behind the relics of an old boot loader by, for
example, installing the boot loader on the root filesystem while
you've already got a boot loader set up on the master boot record.

--Stephen