Re: data recovery openoffice.sx? on ext3-partition

On Wed, Sep 04, 2002 at 06:30:00PM +0100, Stephen C. Tweedie wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Sep 04, 2002 at 07:03:12AM -0600, Andreas Dilger wrote:
>
> > If desired, we could still do this operation in 2 stages:
> > 1) mark inode unused in inode bitmap and nlinks = 0, put it on orphan list
> > 2) update all of the block bitmaps and group descriptor summaries
> >
> > If we crash between 1 & 2, we can always restart 2 like we do now.
>
> Sure, but the problem is that 2) is also an unbounded operation that
> can require multiple transactions, if it's a large enough file
> covering enough block groups.

It may be the only thing that makes sense is to keep a copy of the
original i_blocks array, and then restore it after the truncate is
complete and i_links is set to zero.  Even if we don't recover the
indirect blocks, at least for small files people will be able to
recover their data....

						- Ted