To ext3 developers

Hi,

On Wed, May 22, 2002 at 09:55:34AM -0700, Halbert Thiodore wrote:
> On Wed, 22 May 2002, Stephen C. Tweedie wrote:
> --cut--
> > which is in the main VFS mount code, not in ext3 at all, and it's an
> > OOPS, not an assert failure.  Your original message said:
> >
> > > I've seen several posting regarding assertion failure (I also have that
> > > problem since rh 7.2 and 7.3!!). Is it a bug or something? This failure can
> > > happen although we have run fsck. The failure msg can sometimes just pop-up
> > > from the screen when the computer is idling.
> >
> > which is describing something _completely_ different.  I'm confused.
>
> I'm sorry about my original message. I'm not an expert in this issue; I
> thought they were the same. Anyway, how to fix the problem?

We need more information about the problems.  You first told us of
"ext3 assertion failures" during normal running:

"Halbert Thiodore" <thio79@asu.edu> wrote:

> I've seen several posting regarding assertion failure (I also have
> that problem since rh 7.2 and 7.3!!). Is it a bug or something?

Assertion failures result in log messages which actually contain the
words "assertion failure" and which tell us where the problem was
discovered in the code.  When asked for more info, you gave messages
about an entirely separate oops (NOT an assertion failure) during
install.

So do you have any more info about the assertion failures, such as the
full log messages they produce?

--Stephen