Bad directories appearing in ext3 after upgrade 2.4.16 -> 2.4.18+cvs

On Tue, May 21, 2002 at 10:48:03AM +0100, Stephen C. Tweedie wrote:

> >  My ext3 filesystem is on a raid5 array, with the journal on
> >  a separate raid1 array. (data=journal mode).
>
> Not a configuration I've tested, but I can set up a box here with that
> config and see if I can reproduce any problems.
>
> >  I get quite a few messages in the logs which say:
> >
> > May 21 14:20:06 glass kernel: raid5: multiple 1 requests for sector 7540536

I just realised, this implies that it's the main filesystem (ie, NOT
the journal) which is seeing this.  That's something I can't explain,
unless something is going wrong with the checkpoint/forget logic on
file deletes.  Now, there _was_ a change in that code in the latest
diffs, but that only affected multiple reuse of the same buffer_head,
not different buffer_heads for the same disk block.

I'm currently running fs stress testing on a 3-disk soft raid5
data=journal filesystem, with the journal on an external nvram disk,
to see if I can reproduce this.

Cheers,
 Stephen