Bad directories appearing in ext3 after upgrade 2.4.16 -> 2.4.18+cvs

Hi,

On Tue, May 21, 2002 at 04:30:49PM +1000, Neil Brown wrote:

>  The directories haven't been moved from buffercache to
>  pagecache between 2.4.16 and 2.4.18 or anything like that have they?

No, no big changes.

>  My ext3 filesystem is on a raid5 array, with the journal on
>  a separate raid1 array. (data=journal mode).

Not a configuration I've tested, but I can set up a box here with that
config and see if I can reproduce any problems.

>  I get quite a few messages in the logs which say:
>
> May 21 14:20:06 glass kernel: raid5: multiple 1 requests for sector 7540536

Can you go into debugfs and find out what inode that sector belongs
to?  You'll need to convert it into a block number first, then use
"icheck".

>  For a variety of sector numbers.

>  This means that raid5 has received two separate write requests, with
>  two separate buffer heads, for the same sector.  This seems like a
>  filesystem error to me.

Probably, yes.  Is this a SMP box?  I recently fixed a long-standing
bug which could cause that on SMP; it would be worth seeing if the
ext3-0.9.18 I posted fixes the problems.  Are you running dump(8)?  If
so, it could actually be a read request from dump colliding with a
write request from the fs; add_write_bh() doesn't seem to distinguish
between reads and writes when warning about IO collisions.

Otherwise, I'd really like to track this down by turning the raid
warning into a BUG() or BH_ASSERT(), and enable buffer tracing.  (In
fact I can probably do that non-destructively, by calling the buffer
trace printing manually from add_stripe_bh().)

Cheers,
 Stephen