ext3 buffer leak/memory leak?

"Fitzgerald, Stephen" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am a new ext3 user and I am having some problems.  I seem to have
> introduced a memory leak after adding ext3 support to the kernel.  I noticed
> when running top or viewing /proc/meminfo my free memory pool seems to be
> decreasing while my buffers are increasing (around the same rate).

That's perfectly normal.  Linux will use as much memory as it can
for disk cache.  Some of that cache is for file data ("Cached") and
some is for filesystem metadata such as inodes, bitmaps, indirect
blocks, directory blocks, etc ("Buffers").

When something else needs memory, that cache will be freed up and
reused.

> Also there are more ext3 boot messages, I have listed them below.
>
> EXT3-fs: INFO: recovery required on readonly filesystem.
> EXT3-fs: write access will be enabled during recovery.
> kjournald starting.  Commit interval 5 seconds
> EXT3-fs: recovery complete.
> EXT3-fs: mounted filesystem with ordered data mode.
> VFS: Mounted root (ext3 filesystem) readonly.
> EXT3 FS 2.4-0.9.6, 11 Aug 2001 on ide0(3,2), internal journal

That's OK too.  At initial boot, the kernel asks for the root
filesystem to be mounted read-only (it's up to the boot scripts
to decide if it should be remounted read/write).  But after
an unclean shutdown, ext3 must write to the disk to restore its
state.  So this message is saying "even though you asked for a
read-only mount, I'm writing stuff".   Once the pre-crash information
has been restored, the read-onlyness is honoured.

So unless I've missed something, everything is working normally?

-