ext3 assertion failure.

Hi,

On Tue, Apr 30, 2002 at 11:05:07PM -0400, Tom Diehl wrote:
> On Tue, 30 Apr 2002, Andreas Dilger wrote:
>
> > On Apr 30, 2002  21:54 -0400, Tom Diehl wrote:
> >
> > It looks like you were getting garbage from the disk before the journal
> > assertion happened (i.e. the ext3 error), and the journal assertion is
> > just there to save your filesystem from getting corrupted with further
> > bad operations.
> >
> > > This is a stock 7.2 system with all revelant updates.
> > > Not sure what other info to provide so if I missed something please let me
> > > know.
> >
> > I would really recommend upgrading to the latest RH errata kernel.  The
> > ext3 code has had a number of bugs fixed since 2.4.9.  It might also be
> > related to IDE stuff, don't know.
>
> AFAIK 2.4.9-31 is their latest errata kernel. Just checked the ftp site and
> that is the latest one there, although the roumer mill would suggest this
> might change shortly. I could upgrade to their beta kernel I suppose.

Yes, the fix happened in 2.4.17+ or so, and is in the rawhide kernels.
It won't help you much --- it just handles the disk error a bit more
gracefully, but the underlying problem is still a disk or driver
problem.

> So am I understanding you correctly that there is still no good way to tell if this
> was hdwe or a software failure?

It is either hardware or the driver.  It is not the filesystem: the
filesystem is simply detecting the problem.

Trying the rawhide kernel might be useful, because it includes updated
IDE code which does handle some controllers a bit better.

Cheers,
 Stephen