ext3 assertion failure. repost sorry.

On Apr 30, 2002  21:54 -0400, Tom Diehl wrote:
> Hi all,
> Sorry for the repost. If I should be asking somewhere else please tell me
> where. I woke up a few days ago to find this on one of my machines.
> Below is hopefully the revelent output from dmesg and /var/log/messages. I
> have had this b4 but this is the first time I have been able to get any
> useful  information from it.  The machine usually locks and all I see is the
> failure on the console.

It looks like you were getting garbage from the disk before the journal
assertion happened (i.e. the ext3 error), and the journal assertion is
just there to save your filesystem from getting corrupted with further
bad operations.

> This is a stock 7.2 system with all revelant updates.
> Not sure what other info to provide so if I missed something please let me
> know.

I would really recommend upgrading to the latest RH errata kernel.  The
ext3 code has had a number of bugs fixed since 2.4.9.  It might also be
related to IDE stuff, don't know.

> ide1: reset: success

When did that reset happen?  It wasn't in the syslog that you sent.

> EXT3-fs error (device ide1(22,65)): ext3_readdir: bad entry in directory #2665467: rec_len % 4 != 0 - offset=0, inode=762621470, rec_len=44574, name_len=110

The rec_len is way out.  The inode number is probably also bad, but not
sure...

> Assertion failure in journal_bmap_Rbbdc8009() at journal.c:602: "ret != 0"
> kernel BUG at journal.c:602!

Just a symptom of bad data, not the real cause.  Note that I wanted to
look at this bit of code, but that assertion is not even there anymore
(the kernel turns the filesystem read only and just returns now).

Cheers, Andreas
--
Andreas Dilger