Recovery

Hi,

On Thu, Jan 10, 2002 at 03:10:39PM -0800, Linux Pquter wrote:

> For the sake of curiosity, other than not checking the
> contents of fstab, did I take the correct actions in
> attempting to recover a system?

Sort of.  You took reasonable action for the recovery of a root
filesystem, but the evidence didn't really suggest that there was
anything wrong with that filesystem.  The fact that the root was
mounted for singleuser already implied that the fs superblock _was_
intact (else the kernel could not have mounted it in the first place),
so recovering from a backup superblock was not likely to help --- the
real question was what was stopping fsck from running, not what was
wrong with the filesystem itself.

The fsck messages:

Checking root filesystem
(null):

and

fsck.ext2: Is a directory while trying to open /

implied that fsck was looking either at a null string, or at "/", when
trying to open the root filesystem's block device, so it was a fairly
good guess that the problem was fsck failing to find the root device,
not a root filesystem failure.

Cheers,
 Stephen