root fs upgraded to ext3 on rh 6.2 based machine problem when not cleanly unmounted

Hi,

On Thu, Jan 03, 2002 at 03:38:06PM +0100, Gianluca Cecchi wrote:

> I upgraded my filesystems to ext3 using tune2fs.
>
> Now I'm using kernel 2.4.17 with ext2 in core and ext3 as a module, so I
> have the two jbd.o and ext3.o files under /lib/modules tree.
>
> If I power off cleanly my system I have no problem rebooting and the
> filesystem type of them is ext3 (I put ext3 for root and auto for the
> others in fstab).
>
> If I power off uncleanly the machine, root has to make fsck (in the long
> ext2 way and complaining also), while for the other file systems the
> journal is applied and in few seconds they are ok and after booting they
> are all ext3.
>
> What is the problem with root filesystem?

It could be several things.  Does /proc/mounts show the root fs as
ext2 or ext3?  Getting the wrong root fs type is the most likely
problem.

> I have read in some places something like this:
>
> WARNING : If u are converting your existing ext2 root file system to
>            ext3 than compile ext3 support in the kernel since u
>         will need it on startup [:-)]

> Is it right?

Not strictly correct, but it's much easier to get things working that
way as you don't have to fiddle with getting the initrd correct.

Cheers,
 Stephen