root ext3 gets fsck'ed after crash

On Feb 18, 2002  11:33 -0500, Joe Krahn wrote:
> Andreas Dilger wrote:
> > The fact that it says "not clean" indicates that it is NOT being mounted
> > as ext3, because ext3 never does this.  Check /proc/mounts to confirm
> > that it is being mounted as ext2.
>
> Yes, /proc/mounts says it is being mounted ext2, even though
> /bin/mount tells me it is ext3. Now I know where the problem lies.
>
> > Did you compile ext3 as a module, and/or you are using an initrd?  That
> > is the most common cause for mounting the root as ext2.
>
> This is on a plain, redhat-compiled kernel, which has ext3 as a
> module. No initrd, using GRUB bootloader.
>
> Maybe ext3 can't mount a not-clean fs, so it ends up getting mounted
> as ext2 for fscking, but then stays that way. I've not changed the
> init scripts, so maybe this is what happens on RedHat 7.2
> whenever you do something to make your root ext3 "not clean",
> which normally never happens. Does that sound resonable?

Well, ext3 can't mount a root filesystem if it isn't available at the
time the root filesystem is mounted.  Either you need to load the ext3
module from an initrd, or compile it into the kernel.  While the on-disk
layout of ext2 and ext3 are basically the same, the kernel drivers are
separate, so it is not possible to remount an ext2-mounted filesystem
with the ext3 driver later on.

Cheers, Andreas
--
Andreas Dilger