root ext3 gets fsck'ed after crash

When I first installed ext3, it worked as expected.
After a crash, journals would be played, and no fsck.
Now, every crash causes an fsck, just like it were
a regular ext2, even though / has a journal and
is being mounted as ext3.

Some fs info for /
Filesystem features:      has_journal filetype sparse_super
Filesystem state:         not clean
Errors behavior:          Continue

Some fs info for /home, which seems to be working OK:
Filesystem features:      has_journal filetype needs_recovery sparse_super
Filesystem state:         clean
Errors behavior:          Continue

Maybe related to not having a separate /boot partition,
and / is getting mounted before kernel journalling is ready?
How do I get out of this state?

I would like to get quick recovery working, because
I'm debugging some problems that are locking up the
system.