ext3 fsck question

Hi,

After our big ext3 file server crashes, I notice the fsck spends some time
replaying the journals (about 5-10 mins for all volumes on the server in
question). I guess it must do this should you want to mount the volumes as
ext2.

My question--is it (theoretically) possible to tell fsck only to replay
half-finished and to knock out incomplete transactions from the journals,
leaving the kernel to replay the good ones in its own time, possibly
reducing downtime by a few minutes? Or might this break assumptions the
kernel code makes? Or is it totally impossible and ridiculous? :)

Matt