postfix and ext3

> > the proposed solution has (more or less) no effect.
>
> Because now loggin performance will suck.
>
> > i hope i have done it right - here is the autput of "mount" for the var
> > partition - is this the correct setting ?
> >
> > /dev/sda6 on /var type ext3 (rw,data=journal)
>
> /var/spool
> and /var/log are on the same partition, but different modes are best
> for their patricular use.

actually, I have /var/log on another partition, so logging is still done
ordered (the default)

/dev/sda6 on /var type ext3 (rw,data=journal)
/dev/sda10 on /var/log type ext3 (rw)

, but that chattr -S -R was the key :

here is a table of messages (34K personalised messages) sent per minute on
different modes :

ext2 : 417
ext2 (chattr-S) : 600
ext3 : 80
ext3 (chattr-S) data=journal : 430
ext3 (chattr-S) data=ordered : 370

i assume that removing the S attribute does not degrate the integrity of my
data on a journalling filesystem, right ?

Alex

 .