Promise TX2 and ATARAID....... kjouirnald and kupdated seem to fight it out for reasourses

What is really puzzling me is that the ataraid device (/dev/ataraid/d0p1 mounted as /bigdisk)
2x 123GB IBM Deskstar's is formated as ext2...top and ps etc... show a fight between kjournald and kupdated
and all searches for kjournald or kupdated fights suggest ext3 issues... :-)

It's a RedHat 7.2,  2.4.7-10 custom kernal (I added in the Promise FastTrak support and HIGH mem support
to break through the c800MB barrier to use the whole 1GB RAM).

Creates the array fine... I get a problem as soon as I attempt to populate it...
the box is a Athalon 1.4GHz and 1GB RAM, two other 60GB drives on IDE0 and IDE1

I get an almost total slowdown/shutdown and top shows the load going to 8 or nine with noone
logged in and console only....

Behaviour only when accessing the ATARAID.

ext3 for / only everything else ext2

Has anyone any idea/seen this behaviour or got an 'out' ?

egards,

Dominic