2GB of Waste? How can it be?

"IT3 Stuart Blake Tener, USNR-R" wrote:
> I meant that I believe that the initial decision not to provide
> ReiserFS as an installation option appeared to me to be a management
> / marketing decision as opposed to a technical one.

And you've got Debian users here saying its simply not true.

> I have no idea how RedHat tests its software, but perhaps that would
> be something worth telling people.

I consider RedHat to be one of the best companies at "integration QA
testing".  What I mean is that while Open Source is the superior way
to develop software from a QA (quality assurance) standpoint,
"integration testing" of packages together is where distros come
in.  I think RedHat is one of the best companies in this regard.

> I say yes, I agree. In addition, I understand that SuSE is interested in
> the same enterprise customers that you are, with the same concerns for
> reliability, and somehow they had ReiserFS in their kernel, that is what
> made me wonder. I am sure they have the same concerns about supporting
> ReiserFS if it buggy than RedHat does.

I don't think anyone is arguing that ReiserFS is "too buggy," but it
supports far less than "traditional UNIX filesystems" do in terms of
NFS, quotas, etc...  These are things that are important to RedHat's
customers.  It was to me when I started using Ext3 instead of
ReiserFS over two years ago.

And then I have even more "recent" issues with ReiserFS and its
"recovery" tools.  That keeps me at bay from using it too.  I think
the Namesys team is a great bunch of guys, with lots of talent and
excellent ideas.  But sometimes there are more important reasons to
push back changes.

[ Heck, I would argue they should have called the 2.4 kernel 3.0,
and rev'd to 3.2, 3.4, etc... everytime they changed something
major, like the scheduler, or adding various things (like the
"license" tag).  But that's just me. ]

> I really did not mean to insult anyone, just I like choice too,
> and I want to see that choice in RH distributions also.

It is the GPL/OSS that offers you choice, not specific companies.
Don't like what RedHat offers, go elsewhere.  Heck, Mandrake exists
for probably this very reason.

Again, if you trust RedHat, and RedHat does not support ReiserFS,
then understand they have a good reason.  It doesn't mean RedHat
shouldn't, it is just they have their reasons that they don't.
Furthermore, it should tell you that their reasons are more
important than marketshare, or "their" technology -- which is all
GPL anyway (*UN*like many other distros)!

Don't draw conclusions to the contrary.

-- Bryan

--
Bryan J. Smith, Engineer        mailto:b.j.smith@ieee.org