slowdown and reiserfs

--=-Uutskt+iChk7AuskfdbD

On Mon, 2002-02-04 at 15:46, Eduard Bloch wrote:
> #include <hallo.h>
> Joe Radinger wrote on Mon Feb 04, 2002 um 02:37:19PM:
>=20
> > > It kind of depends on your hardware and disk usage. In many cases, ho=
wever,
> > > ext3 has higher performance because it can serialize operations.
> >=20
> > hmm
> > hardware is a p2 350 mhz with 120gb (linux)  + 20gb (beos and windows
> > thus not used :))), with 256 mb ram.=20
>=20
> Stop! Before making comparisons, please look for the average
> _throughput_. It may happen that you have the _feeling_ that the machine
> is slower since _more_ data is transferred using ext3 and the CPU load
> is higher.

would this mean that at the same HIGH systemload, ext3 is notable slower
than ext2, because disk-IO is expensive? how would i measure throughput.
i would measure the time compiling a huge package with lots of files,
once with ext2, once with reiserfs, both times at runlevel 1.
=20
> > maybe i should try and benchmark my system. any suggestions?
>=20
> Why not...
>=20
> > >=20
> > > I don't recall anything like that. I've been using both ext3 and Reis=
erFS
> > > since the 2.4.5 kernel. Maybe it was before that?=20
> >=20
> > sure it was some time ago.
>=20
> The reiserfs patch for 2.2.19/20 has collitions with ext3. Not a problem
> in 2.4.

collisions that make problems if only one system (reiser/ext3) gets
used? or is the mere existance of the kernelmodule enough (or does it
not compile).
sorry for such a load of questions.

i have some customers, that cannot switch to 2.4 yet, because they use
some custom network-modules, which are not available/compatible with
2.4. they would like to use some journaling system, but they ant to
decide for themselfes [that means, that some of them would use ext3 and
other reiserfs] :(

--=-Uutskt+iChk7AuskfdbD

--=-Uutskt+iChk7AuskfdbD--