What to do? Error:(Attempt to read block from filesystem resulted in short read) while doing inode scan.)

> This specific error means that you had a bad block inside your inode
> table.  Depending on where in the inode table you had bad block, you
> could have lost as many as 32 files.  (If you saw complaints about
> directory entries pointing to deleted files, that would be
> confirmation.)

I don't specifically recall, however, it would be nice if there was an easy
way to find the files affected? Is there anything in debugfs which can do
this?

> > Can I mark the sector as bad and recover any of the data?
>
> You can mark the sector as bad by doing "e2fsck -c".  You can try to
> see if the disk drive will remap the sector by doing a non-destructive
> read/write badblocks check.  With e2fsck versions 1.26 or later, this
> can be done by using the command "e2fsck -cc".  With older versions of
> e2fsprogs, you'll need to run "badblocks -n" manually.  Note that this
> can be dangerous!  If your disk is starting to die, more disk activity
> can make things worse, not better.  I'd normally suggest that people
> do a full disk-to-disk image backup before starting.

OK, so just to confirm.  Basically I boot in single user mode and run
e2fsck -cc and all my problems go away (possibly along with my data).  Is
that about the size of it?

Also, I am still investigating the cause of these freezes, doing a ram check
as we speak, but it could be dodgy vm, ie my swap file is bad.  I don't see
any warning messages in log files (should I?), and from what you say any bad
sectors should be quickly mapped out, yes?  However, just to be sure is it
worth/possible to check the swap partition in the same way?

Thanks very much for all your help.  Gratefully appreciated!

Ed W