quota problem

Hi,

On Tue, Aug 20, 2002 at 03:17:22PM -0400, Guray Gursoy wrote:

> While I was experimenting with the quotas I changed the  following line in the  /etc/fstab :
>
> LABEL=/    /    ext3    defaults                  1 1   (BEFORE)
> LABEL=/    /    ext3    defaults,userquotas 1 1   (AFTER)
>
> Now, I cannot write anything to the /, nor I cannot change any of the files including /etc/fstab

"mount" is probably getting terminally confused by the illegal options
you added into fstab.  "userquotas" is not a valid filesystem option.
"quota" or "usrquota" would be OK.

You can use "mount -n -o remount,rw /dev/root /" to remount the root
filesystem read-write, allowing you to fix fstab.

This is standard mount behaviour: if you don't specify both the
/dev/root *and* the "/" mount point in the mount command, then mount
needs to consult /etc/fstab to find the missing argument, and it will
pick up the bad option from fstab when it does so.  You need to
specify both the device and the mount point if you want to override
the /etc/fstab entries completely.

Cheers,
 Stephen