question about .journal ....

> > sorry for this mail perhaps, but I am new in linux experience.
> > I have a disk in ext2 format and this disk has been totally
> > deleted by the rm command.
>
> Was it running ext2 or ext3 when you deleted it?

I was running under ext2.

> Well, restoring from backups will be the only remotely easy answer if
> you've managed to delete the whole filesystem --- most of the metadata
> about which blocks went where and what the files were called is simply
> gone.  A bit more of the metadata will have survived if you were using
> ext2.  If there are any really critical files you want to recover then
> you could start looking through the fs manually for them, but there is
> no chance of an automatic complete recovery.
>
> Cheers,
>  Stephen

could you explain which are theses metadata and how I could
recover them manually on the filesystem

Thanks for you help !
Cheers !

Jean-Philippe BATTU            Phone   : (33) 04 76 29 73 43
Localisation: B1/403              Fax     : (33) 04 76 29 75 18
Mail : jean-philippe.battu@bull.net

Bull, 01 Rue de Provence
B.P. 208
38432 Echirolles FRANCE