Problem with data=journal on root file system.

On Wed, Apr 17, 2002 at 04:17:57PM -0500, Rhett Gibson wrote:
> I am using RedHat 7.2 w/ kernel 2.4.7-10.  My / filesystem is configured
> as ext3.  I want to change it to use data=journaled instead of ordered.
> If I mount it from a boot floppy, it mounts fine.  (mount /dev/hda2 /mnt
> -t ext3 -o data=journal).  I have attempted to find the correct
> procedure to start it up as journaled from grub to no avail.  I have
> created a new initrd image that works fine with data=ordered.  I see
> where one procedure is to use lilo -R linux rw rootflags=journal=update.
> (I'm not using Lilo)  I'm confused about the read&write aspect as well
> as why they used journal=update instead of data=journal.  This
> filesystem was created new with this system, so I should not have to
> upgrade it.  Thanks.

Put "rootflags=data=journal" in your kernel command line.

Also change your /etc/fstab so it does not speicfy a journal mode if you
have one set in that file, because if you try to mount with a different
journal mode it will stay mounted read-only, and that'll break many boot
scripts.

BTW, no need to change to lilo.  GRUB is great. :)

Mike