Help with file locking

Hello;

We are working on an application that needs to grab files put onto an ext3
filesystem as soon as they are written.  We've looked at lsof, and other
tools, and are having troubles finding just the right mechanism to tell when
a file has been completely written and the other process has closed the
file.

In most cases it will be Samba users putting the files onto the ext3
filesystem that we need to process immediatitely, and we will also need to
allow NFS users to put files onto the ext3 filesystem.  In both cases, we
need low-level knowledge of when the file is written completely so we can
grab the sucker right away.

Any help would be appreciated!

John Fraser
VisionShare Inc.