Problems with ext3

Edgar,

As far as I see there is nothing wrong with the partition, if you change
it from /(root) you should be able to mount it directly as long as the
kernel supports ext3 filesystem and you use the correct -t option. Not
even necessary to repair it.

This is a guess, but what most probably happened is that ext3 is builtin
as a module or the mount statement in the initrd in /linuxrc was not
updated from ext2 to ext3.

Regards
Amit