Re: Re-use SSD

Op 14-09-17 om 15:21 schreef Martin Steigerwald:
> Hello Paul.
>
> Paul van der Vlis - 14.09.17, 14:32:
>> I have bought many laptops with privacy-sensitive data on /home in
>> ecryptfs on the SSD. And I have promised to carefull remove the data
>> before re-using.
>>
>> What would you advice to do? Is it possible to overwrite the master key
>> for example? Or is it a good idea to change the passphrase in a very
>> long one?
>
> Technically you can´t really overwrite it. SSDs use Copy on Write.
>
> Also I think the passphrase in Ecryptfs just encrypts a key used to encrypt
> the data… not the data itself.
>

> Generic hint for securely erasing SSDs.
>
> https://ata.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/ATA_Secure_Erase

This is what I am doing now. The SSD's I've tried are normally freezed,
but after awaking from suspend-to-ram not anymore.

It looks complex, but it's fast and doable. But indeed not nice to rely
on the firmware of the SSD...

What I would like are stupid-SSD's without a controller, where the
filesystem does everything. Or a SSD with open source controller firmware.

With regards,
Paul

https://www.vandervlis.nl/