Re: Can anyone confirm or deny if ecryptfs will work with a glusterfs backend?

On 2014-02-26 18:35:09, Lance Reed wrote:
> Tyler,
>
> Thanks for the response!
> Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 6.4 (Santiago) (and Centos 6.4)
> 2.6.32-358.14.1.el6.x86_64

While I've not made any recent changes that I would expect to improve
glusterfs support, that is a somewhat old kernel and a newer version
may, obviously, have different results.

However, I should say that even if eCryptfs suddenly works on top of
glusterfs in a newer kernel, there's still a fundamental problem with
eCryptfs stacked on top of any type of remote filesystem. eCryptfs does
not expect the lower/backend filesystem to be modified by another
machine. So you could have cache coherency problems if two or more
clients are reading a file and then one of them updates the file.

Fixing the cache coherency issues would be step 2, after eCryptfs
actually starts working on top of popular remote filesystems (nfs, cifs,
glusterfs, etc.). Unfortunately, I'm not aware of anyone working on step
1 at the moment.

Tyler