Re: Will there be a multi CPU core version of eCryptfs?

On 2013-03-14 10:53:54, Michael Schneider wrote:
> Hello,

Hi Michael

> When using eCryptfs on a low end devices like NASs,
> the CPU is often limiting the performance of reading/writing dramatically
> because of the intense cryptographic workload.
>
> I know that using cryptography on such systems is always a trade off,
>  but I ask myself about a possible optimization which would help very much:
>
> On my NAS the throughput with eCryptfs drops by about 70%

Drops ~70% in comparison to what?

> (Synology DS412+, Atom D2700 - 2 Cores, Hyperthreading).
>
> For non-encrypted operation the CPU nearly idles, when using eCryptfs
> its at about 25% load. I assume that only one of the possible
> four parallel CPU threads are used.
>
> My question is "Will there be a multi CPU core version?" which would improve
> performance on low powered CPUs.

Possibly. Myself and others are currently looking into ways to increase
eCryptfs performance. There's an opportunity to spread out the work
across multiple cores while doing that and it is something that is being
taken into consideration.

> I don't know, if this is the right place to ask, but it would be great
> if any of the developers could give me feedback if this will be possible
> in the future - crossing fingers :)

You found the right place. Sit tight for a bit and maybe kernel 3.10
will have what you're wanting. Thanks for the question.

Tyler