Re: ecryptfs doesn´t like noauto and noatime

On Mon, Jan 30, 2012 at 4:58 AM, Martin Steigerwald <ms@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi Jakob,
>
> Am Dienstag, 17. Januar 2012 schrieb Jakob Unterwurzacher:

> > > […]

> > > […]

> > > […]

> > > noauto that is.

> > > Thanks.
> > >
> > > Would that also work within a display manager like kdm?
> > >
> > > Ciao,
> >
> > Yes! It will ask for two passwords on login.
>
> Hmmm, I think this won't work for me.
>
> This is used by ecryptfs-mount-private it seems, but I am not only encrypting
> /home/$USER/Private, but /home/$USER itself. Thus I'd like to mount ~ as is
> with a different passphrase than my PAM login password.
>
> I tried putting an empty ~/.ecryptfs/wrapping-independent, which has the sig-
> cache.txt for the /home/ms mount but this doesn't do the trick, I am not asked
> for a password and home directory remains empty. I could put
>
> Is it true that PAM ecryptfs stuff is only for a ~/Private directory?

Definitely not.  pam_ecryptfs.so is the method by which keys are
loaded into your keyring at login time, by unwrapping
~/.ecryptfs/wrapped-passphrase using your login passphrase.

It should work with either a randomly generated one, or one of your
choosing.  It doesn't really care what's inside of
~/.ecryptfs/wrapped-passphrase -- just that your login passphrase can
symmetrically decrypt it.

Now, getting a passphrase of your choosing into that file requires
running ecryptfs-setup-private by hand, rather than using wrappers,
like the Ubuntu installer or the adduser utility.

--
:-Dustin

Dustin Kirkland
Chief Architect