Re: [RFT] Testing 1.22

On May 27, 2021 1:54:40 PM GMT-03:00, Andrii Nakryiko <andrii.nakryiko@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>On Thu, May 27, 2021 at 8:20 AM Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo
><acme@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> Hi guys,
>>
>>         Its important to have 1.22 out of the door ASAP, so please
>clone
>> what is in tmp.master and report your results.
>>

>Hey Arnaldo,
>
>If we are going to make pahole 1.22 a new mandatory minimal version of
>pahole, I think we should take a little bit of time and fix another
>problematic issue and clean up Kbuild significantly.
>
>We discussed this before, it would be great to have an ability to dump
>generated BTF into a separate file instead of modifying vmlinux image
>in place. I'd say let's try to push for [0] to land as a temporary
>work around to buy us a bit of time to implement this feature. Then,
>when pahole 1.22 is released and packaged into major distros, we can
>follow up in kernel with Kbuild clean ups and making pahole 1.22
>mandatory.
>
>What do you think? If anyone agrees, please consider chiming in on the
>above thread ([0]).

There's multiple fixes that affects lots of stakeholders, so I'm more inclined to release 1.22 sooner rather than later.

If anyone has cycles right now to work on that detached BTF feature, releasing 1.23 as soon as that feature is complete and tested shouldn't be a problem.

Then 1.23 the mandatory minimal version.

Wdyt?

- Arnaldo