Porting GCN pre-1.2 parts from radeon to amdgpu kernel driver

Hello to both of you,

I've been following the development mostly of the radeon driver for some time (with some small commits here and there as you may know). I was waiting to hear some news about the coming support of Vulkan API. And I have been wondering for sometime now if it would be a good think to have all GCN parts moved from the radeon driver to the amdgpu kernel driver (I had figured out it would be possible, but would it be of any use was still unanswered). I was also curious to know if the new Crimson software would support the radeon driver at some point.

Now, I may have had a clear answer: I just read from Phoronix' editor Michael Larabel (http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Help-Bring-Older-GCN-To-AMDGPU) that Vulkan would come to the amdgpu driver only, that the blob (which should eventually be opened) would support all GCN parts and that the only missing part to support GCN pre-1.2 parts with both Vulkan and Crimson would be to have them ported from the radeon driver to the amdgpu driver. Am I understanding correctly?

I'd be interested to know a bit more about the task and I may try to start the work or join someone who would already be interested in doing so.

Any comments on the matter? Any missunderstood thing?

Cheers!

--
Alexandre Demers