Update front buffer without CPU interaction?

I'm currently trying to setup a rendering pipe on an Intel Baytrail E3845 cpu. In our product we want to have an FPGA streaming video images to a predefined memory area using bus master dma and render those images using OpenGL. So far this works in a preliminary state. We now have the security requirement that in case the CPU (software/kernel driver) crashes for what ever reason, the GPU display signal should still output at least the video images (obviously any additional render stuff will not be available anymore). My question is now, would it be possible to get the physical address of the DRM front buffer, so that I can provide this address to the FPGA (connected via PCIe) and is it possible to have the GPU still reading the last front buffer for the display output while the FPGA writes to that area. So I would think that the GPU has some kind of DMA engine running, that continuously reading the last front buffer until switched to another buffer by the CPU. So even if the CPU does not control the GPU anymore, it might be possible to have the front buffer updated by the FPGA directly. Of course there will be tearing artefacts as no VSYNC will be available but that wouldn't be an issue so far.

Kind regards,
    Volker