Re: DisplayPort: handling of HPD events / link training

On Tue, 16 Jul 2024 at 18:58, Thomas Zimmermann <tzimmermann@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi
>
> Am 27.02.24 um 23:40 schrieb Dmitry Baryshkov:
> > Hello,
> >
> > We are currently looking at checking and/or possibly redesigning the
> > way the MSM DRM driver handles the HPD events and link training.
> >
> > After a quick glance at the drivers implementing DP support, I noticed
> > following main approaches:
> > - Perform link training at the atomic_enable time, don't report
> > failures (mtk, analogix, zynqmp, tegra, nouveau)
> > - Perform link training at the atomic_enable time, report errors using
> > link_status property (i915, mhdp8546)
> > - Perform link training on the plug event (msm, it8605).
> > - Perform link training from the DPMS handler, also calling it from
> > the enable callback (AMDGPU, radeon).
> >
> > It looks like the majority wins and we should move HPD to
> > atomic_enable time. Is that assumption correct?
>
> Did you ever receive an answer to this question? I currently investigate
> ast's DP code, which does link training as part of detecting the
> connector state (in detect_ctx). But most other drivers do this in
> atomic_enable. I wonder if ast should follow.

Short answer: yes, the only proper place to do it is atomic_enable().

Long answer: I don't see a way to retrigger link training in ast_dp.c
Without such change you are just shifting things around. The
end-result of moving link-training to atomic_enable() is that each
enable can trigger link training, possibly lowering the link rate,
etc. if link training is just a status bit from the firmware that we
don't control, it doesn't make real-real sense to move it.

--
With best wishes
Dmitry