Re: Time for drm-ci-next?

On Fri, Jul 5, 2024 at 3:36 AM Daniel Vetter <daniel.vetter@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 04, 2024 at 08:40:26AM -0700, Rob Clark wrote:

> > > That sounds more like we should push on the drm-misc pre-merge CI boulder
> > > to move it uphill, than add even more trees to make it even harder to get
> > > there long term ...
> > >
> > > Short term it helps locally to have finer trees, but only short term and
> > > only very locally.
> >
> > The path to have fewer trees (ideally only one for all of drm) is to
> > use gitlab MRs to land everything :-)
> >
> > drm-ci-next is only a stop-gap.. but one that we need.  The
> > ${branchname}-external-fixes trick covers _most_ cases where we need
> > unrelated patches (ie. to fix random ToT breakage outside of drm or in
> > core drm), but it doesn't help when the needed changes are yml
> > (because gitlab processes all the yml before merging the
> > -external-fixes branch).  This is where we need drm-ci-next, otherwise
> > we are having to create a separate MR which cherry-picks drm/ci
> > patches for doing the CI.  This is a rather broken process.
>
> So what I don't get is ... if we CI drm-misc, how does that not help
> improve the situation here? Step one would be post-merge (i.e. just enable
> CI in the repo), then get MRs going.

I guess post-merge is better than nothing.. but pre-merge is better.

post-merge can work if you have a "sheriff" system where someone
(perhaps on a rotation) is actively monitoring results and "revert and
ask questions later" when something breaks.  Pre-merge ensures the
interested party is involved in the process ;-)

BR,
-R