Re: AMD GFX12 modifiers

On Tuesday, July 2nd, 2024 at 15:22, Olsak, Marek <Marek.Olsak@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> The code you are looking at seems out of date. The latest code is on
> amd-gfx.

Could you point me where? I searched for drm_fourcc.h and only found [1]
which I guess at least answers my question about
AMD_FMT_MOD_GFX12_DCC_MAX_COMPRESSED_BLOCK_MASK.

[1]: https://lore.kernel.org/amd-gfx/20240626183135.8606-5-marek.olsak@xxxxxxx/

> That doesn't matter though. This seems to be a general
> question about modifiers. Here's the answer.
>
> Modifier definitions don't describe compatibility between chips and generations. They only identify the memory layout. Because of that, hw support can't be inferred from modifiers. There could be multiple GFX definitions, tile numbers, and even modifiers from other vendors describing exactly the same layout, and all such equivalent modifiers can be exposed by the same hw.
>
> The gfx12 modifiers work in exactly the same way as any other modifiers.

Thanks, I know how modifiers work, I'm a WSI person. :)

My questions were not generic questions about modifiers though. My
questions are about the technical detail of how GFX12 buffer tiling
properties are encoded in the modifier u64.

This is something I need to know for libdrm modifier pretty-printing,
as well as drm_info and drmdb. And in general, I think it's important to
audit changes to drm_fourcc.h, rules around modifiers are a bit
complicated and easy to get wrong.