[no subject]

> So rather then quirking this, with the above mentioned disadvantages I believe
> that it would be better to extend the existing video=eDP-1:.... kernel
> commandline parsing to allow overriding the minimum brightness in a driver
> agnostic way.

I'm not a fan. It seems much too complicated for most users.

Some more background to the Framework 13 AMD case:
The same panel on the Intel variant already goes darker.
The last responses we got from Framework didn't indicate that the high
minimum brightness was intentional [0], [1].
Coincidentally the "12" returned from ATIF matches
AMDGPU_DM_DEFAULT_MIN_BACKLIGHT, so maybe the firmware is just not set
up completely.

> The minimum brightness override set this way will still need hooking up
> in each driver separately but by using the video=eDP-1:... mechanism
> we can document how to do this in driver independent manner. since
> I know there have been multiple requests for something like this in
> the past I believe that having a single uniform way for users to do this
> will be good.
>
> Alternatively we could have each driver have a driver specific module-
> parameter for this. Either way I think we need some way for users to
> override this as a config/setting tweak rather then use quirks for this.

This also seems much too complicated for normal users.

[0] https://community.frame.work/t/25711/26
[1] https://community.frame.work/t/47036/7