Re: drm/tiny: QUESTION: What to use instead of drm_simple_display_pipe ?

Thomas Zimmermann <tzimmermann@xxxxxxx> writes:

Hello Mehdi,

> Hi
>
> Am 18.03.24 um 20:18 schrieb Mehdi Djait:
>> Hello everyone :)
>>
>> I am implementing a tiny drm driver and I am currently working on the
>> V2: https://lore.kernel.org/dri-devel/cover.1701267411.git.mehdi.djait@xxxxxxxxxxx/
>>
>> I got a review on the v1 telling me not to use the
>> drm_simple_display_pipe. Can someone please explain this further ? Or
>> give me an example drm driver that does it the right way ?
>
> You can copy the code from drm_simple_kms_helper.c into your driver file
> and start inlining everything. For example
>
>   1) Your driver calls drm_simple_display_pipe_init(), so you copy that
> code into your source file
>   2) drm_simple_display_pipe_init() uses drm_simple_kms_plane_funcs and
> drm_simple_kms_crtc_funcs, so you copy these into your source file;
> together with the drm_simple_kms_*() helpers that they use for their
> callback pointers.
>   3) Mayb do this for other drm_simple_kms_*() code.
>   4) Then start inlining: inline your copy of
> drm_simple_display_pipe_iit(). Instead of using
> sharp_ls027b7dh01_pipe_funcs, inline its functions into your copy of the
> callers. And so on.
>   5) Rename the resulting code, so that it fits you driver.
>
> With careful changes, you 'll end up with the same functionality as
> before, but without the intermediate layer of the simple-KMS code.

On top of what Thomas said, you can check 622113b9f11f ("drm/ssd130x:
Replace simple display helpers with the atomic helpers") that did this
change for the drivers/gpu/drm/solomon/ssd130x.c driver.

The driver is also for a monochrome panel controller and it does support
SPI as transport, which means the controller is similar to yours in many
aspects. You could use that driver code as a reference for your driver.

--
Best regards,

Javier Martinez Canillas
Core Platforms