Re: [RFC] How to test panic handlers, without crashing the kernel

On 05/03/2024 18:50, Guilherme G. Piccoli wrote:
On 05/03/2024 13:52, Jocelyn Falempe wrote:
[...]
Or maybe have two lists of panic notifiers, the safe and the destructive
list. So in case of fake panic, we can only call the safe notifiers.

I tried something like that:
https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/20220427224924.592546-1-gpiccoli@xxxxxxxxxx/

There were many suggestions, a completely refactor of the idea (panic
lists are not really seen as reliable things).

Thanks for sharing this, so it's much more complex than what I though.

Given that, I'm not really sure splitting in lists gonna fly; maybe
restricting the test infrastructure to drm_panic plus some paths of
panic would be enough for this debugfs interface, in principle? I mean,
to unblock your work on the drm panic stuff.

For drm_panic, I changed the way the debugfs is calling the drm_panic functions in the last version:
https://patchwork.freedesktop.org/patch/581845/?series=122244&rev=9

It doesn't use the panic notifier list, but create a file for each plane of each device directly. It allows to test the panic handler, not in a real panic condition, but that's still better than nothing.

Cheers,

Guilherme

Best regards,

--