Re: Making drm_gpuvm work across gpu devices

Hi Oak,

Am 23.02.24 um 21:12 schrieb Zeng, Oak:

Hi Christian,

I go back this old email to ask a question.

sorry totally missed that one.

Quote from your email:

“Those ranges can then be used to implement the SVM feature required for higher level APIs and not something you need at the UAPI or even inside the low level kernel memory management.”

“SVM is a high level concept of OpenCL, Cuda, ROCm etc.. This should not have any influence on the design of the kernel UAPI.”

There are two category of SVM:

  1. driver svm allocator: this is implemented in user space,  i.g., cudaMallocManaged (cuda) or zeMemAllocShared (L0) or clSVMAlloc(openCL). Intel already have gem_create/vm_bind in xekmd and our umd implemented clSVMAlloc and zeMemAllocShared on top of gem_create/vm_bind. Range A..B of the process address space is mapped into a range C..D of the GPU address space, exactly as you said.
  2. system svm allocator:  This doesn’t introduce extra driver API for memory allocation. Any valid CPU virtual address can be used directly transparently in a GPU program without any extra driver API call. Quote from kernel Documentation/vm/hmm.hst: “Any application memory region (private anonymous, shared memory, or regular file backed memory) can be used by a device transparently” and “to share the address space by duplicating the CPU page table in the device page table so the same address points to the same physical memory for any valid main memory address in the process address space”. In system svm allocator, we don’t need that A..B C..D mapping.

It looks like you were talking of 1). Were you?

No, even when you fully mirror the whole address space from a process into the GPU you still need to enable this somehow with an IOCTL.

And while enabling this you absolutely should specify to which part of the address space this mirroring applies and where it maps to.

I see the system svm allocator as just a special case of the driver allocator where not fully backed buffer objects are allocated, but rather sparse one which are filled and migrated on demand.

Regards,
Christian.

Oak