-Chunming
发件人:Felix Kuehling <felix.kuehling@xxxxxxx>
发送时间:2024年1月30日(星期二) 04:24
收件人:"Christian König" <christian.koenig@xxxxxxx>; Daniel Vetter <daniel@xxxxxxxx>
抄 送:"Brost, Matthew" <matthew.brost@xxxxxxxxx>; Thomas.Hellstrom@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <Thomas.Hellstrom@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>; "Welty, Brian" <brian.welty@xxxxxxxxx>; "Ghimiray, Himal Prasad" <himal.prasad.ghimiray@xxxxxxxxx>; dri-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <dri-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>; "Gupta, saurabhg" <saurabhg.gupta@xxxxxxxxx>; Danilo Krummrich <dakr@xxxxxxxxxx>; "Zeng, Oak" <oak.zeng@xxxxxxxxx>; "Bommu, Krishnaiah" <krishnaiah.bommu@xxxxxxxxx>; Dave Airlie <airlied@xxxxxxxxxx>; "Vishwanathapura, Niranjana" <niranjana.vishwanathapura@xxxxxxxxx>; intel-xe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <intel-xe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
主 题:Re: Making drm_gpuvm work across gpu devices

On 2024-01-29 14:03, Christian König wrote:
> Am 29.01.24 um 18:52 schrieb Felix Kuehling:

>>> Yeah, so what? In this case you just say through an IOCTL that CPU
>>> range A..B should map to GPU range C..D and for A/B and C/D you use
>>> the maximum of the address space.
>>
>> What I want is that address range A..B on the CPU matches A..B on the
>> GPU, because I'm sharing pointers between CPU and GPU. I can't think
>> of any sane user mode using a unified memory programming model, that
>> would ever ask KFD to map unified memory mappints to a different
>> address range on the GPU. Adding such an ioclt is a complete waste of
>> time, and can only serve to add unnecessary complexity.
>
> This is exactly the use case which happens when the submitting process
> is not the one originally stitching together the command stream.
>
> Basically all native context, virtualization and other proxy use cases
> work like this.

You cannot use unified memory in this type of environment. A GPU page
fault would occur in a GPU virtual address space in the host-side proxy
process. That page fault would need to be resolved to map some memory
from a process running in a guest? Which guest? Which process? That's
anyone's guess. There is no way to annotate that because the pointer in
the fault is coming from a shader program that's running in the guest
context and competely unaware of the virtualization. There are no API
calls from the guest before the fault occurs to establish a meaningful
mapping.

The way this virtualization of the GPU is implemented, with out proxy
multiplexing multiple clients is just fundamentally incompatible with a
unified memory programming model that has to assume a shared virtual
address space to make sense. You'd need separate proxy processes on the
host side to handle that. You can't blame this on bad design decisions
in the SVM API. As I see it, it's just a fundamental limitation of the
virtualization approach that cannot handle guest applications that want
to use a unified shared memory programming model.

That's why I suggested to completely disable the SVM API in this
virtualization scenario when you create a KFD context that's separate
from the process address space. It is not essential for any
non-unified-memory functionality. ROCm user mode has fallbacks to work
without it, because we also needs to support older kernels and GPUs that
didn't support this programming model.

Regards,
  Felix