RE: Making drm_gpuvm work across gpu devices

The example you used to prove that KFD is a design failure, is against *any* design which utilize system allocator and hmm. The way that one proxy process running on host to handle many guest processes, doesn’t fit into the concept of “share address space b/t cpu and gpu”. The shared address space has to be within one process. Your proxy process represent many guest processes. It is a fundamental conflict.

Also your userptr proposal does’t solve this problem either:

Imagine you have guest process1 mapping CPU address range A…B to GPU address range C…D

And you have guest process 2 mapping CPU address range A…B to GPU address range C…D, since process 1 and 2 are two different process, it is legal for process 2 to do the exact same mapping.

Now when gpu shader access address C…D, a gpu page fault happens, what does your proxy process do? Which guest process will this fault be directed to and handled? Except you have extra information/API to tell proxy process and GPU HW, there is no way to figure out.

Compared to the shared virtual address space concept of HMM, the userptr design is nothing new except it allows CPU and GPU to use different address to access the same object. If you replace above C…D with A…B, above description becomes a description of the “problem” of HMM/shared virtual address design.

Both design has the same difficulty with your example of the special virtualization environment setup.

As said, we spent effort scoped the userptr solution some time ago. The problem we found enabling userptr with migration were:

  1. The user interface of userptr is not as convenient as system allocator. With the userptr solution, user need to call userptr_ioctl and vm_bind for *every* single cpu pointer that he want to use in a gpu program. While with system allocator, programmer just use any cpu pointer directly in gpu program without any extra driver ioctls.
  2. We don’t see the real benefit of using a different Gpu address C…D than the A..B, except you can prove my above reasoning is wrong. In most use cases, you can make GPU C…D == CPU A…B, why bother then?
  3. Looked into implementation details, since hmm fundamentally assume a shared virtual address space b/t cpu and device, for the userptr solution to leverage hmm, you need perform address space conversion every time you calls into hmm functions.

In summary, GPU device is just a piece of HW to accelerate your CPU program. If HW allows, it is more convenient to use shared address space b/t cpu and GPU. On old HW (example, no gpu page fault support, or gpu only has a very limited address space), we can disable system allocator/SVM. If you use different address space on modern GPU, why don’t you use different address space on different CPU cores?

Regards,

Oak