RE: Making drm_gpuvm work across gpu devices

Hi Christian,

Even though this email thread was started to discuss shared virtual address space b/t multiple GPU devices, I eventually found you even don’t agree with a shared virtual address space b/t CPU and GPU program. So let’s forget about multiple GPU devices for now. I will try explain the shared address space b/t cpu and one gpu.

HMM was designed to solve the GPU programmability problem with a very fundamental assumption which is GPU program shares a same virtual address space with CPU program, for example, with HMM any CPU pointers (such as malloc’ed, stack variables and globals) can be used directly on you GPU shader program. Are you against this design goal? HMM is already part of linux core MM and Linus approved this design. CC’ed Jérôme.

Here is an example of how application can use system allocator (hmm),  I copied from https://developer.nvidia.com/blog/simplifying-gpu-application-development-with-heterogeneous-memory-management/. CC’ed a few Nvidia folks.

void sortfile(FILE* fp, int N) {

  char* data;

  data = "">

  fread(data, 1, N, fp);

  qsort<<<...>>>(data, N, 1, cmp);

  cudaDeviceSynchronize();

  use_data(data);

  free(data)

}

As you can see, malloced ptr is used directly in GPU program, no userptr ioctl, no vm_bind. This is the model Intel also want to support, besides AMD and Nvidia.

Lastly, nouveau in the kernel already support hmm and system allocator. It also support shared virtual address space b/t CPU and GPU program. All the codes already merged upstream.

See also comments inline to your questions.

I will address your other email separately.

Regards,

Oak