Re: Making drm_gpuvm work across gpu devices

On 2024-01-24 20:17, Zeng, Oak wrote:

Hi Christian,

Even though I mentioned KFD design, I didn’t mean to copy the KFD design. I also had hard time to understand the difficulty of KFD under virtualization environment.

The problem with virtualization is related to virtualization design choices. There is a single process that proxies requests from multiple processes in one (or more?) VMs to the GPU driver. That means, we need a single process with multiple contexts (and address spaces). One proxy process on the host must support multiple guest address spaces.

I don't know much more than these very high level requirements, and I only found out about those a few weeks ago. Due to my own bias I can't comment whether there are bad design choices in the proxy architecture or in KFD or both. The way we are considering fixing this, is to enable creating multiple KFD contexts in the same process. Each of those contexts will still represent a shared virtual address space across devices (but not the CPU). Because the device address space is not shared with the CPU, we cannot support our SVM API in this situation.

I still believe that it makes sense to have the kernel mode driver aware of a shared virtual address space at some level. A per-GPU API and an API that doesn't require matching CPU and GPU virtual addresses would enable more flexibility at the cost duplicate information tracking for multiple devices and duplicate overhead for things like MMU notifiers and interval tree data structures. Having to coordinate multiple devices with potentially different address spaces would probably make it more awkward to implement memory migration. The added flexibility would go mostly unused, except in some very niche applications.

Regards,
  Felix

For us, Xekmd doesn't need to know it is running under bare metal or virtualized environment. Xekmd is always a guest driver. All the virtual address used in xekmd is guest virtual address. For SVM, we require all the VF devices share one single shared address space with guest CPU program. So all the design works in bare metal environment can automatically work under virtualized environment. +@Shah, Ankur N <mailto:ankur.n.shah@xxxxxxxxx> +@Winiarski, Michal <mailto:michal.winiarski@xxxxxxxxx> to backup me if I am wrong.

Again, shared virtual address space b/t cpu and all gpu devices is a hard requirement for our system allocator design (which means malloc’ed memory, cpu stack variables, globals can be directly used in gpu program. Same requirement as kfd SVM design). This was aligned with our user space software stack.

For anyone who want to implement system allocator, or SVM, this is a hard requirement. I started this thread hoping I can leverage the drm_gpuvm design to manage the shared virtual address space (as the address range split/merge function was scary to me and I didn’t want re-invent). I guess my takeaway from this you and Danilo is this approach is a NAK. Thomas also mentioned to me drm_gpuvm is a overkill for our svm address range split/merge. So I will make things work first by manage address range xekmd internally. I can re-look drm-gpuvm approach in the future.

Maybe a pseudo user program can illustrate our programming model:

Fd0 = open(card0)

Fd1 = open(card1)

Vm0 =xe_vm_create(fd0) //driver create process xe_svm on the process's first vm_create

Vm1 = xe_vm_create(fd1) //driver re-use xe_svm created above if called from same process

Queue0 = xe_exec_queue_create(fd0, vm0)

Queue1 = xe_exec_queue_create(fd1, vm1)

//check p2p capability calling L0 API….

ptr = malloc()//this replace bo_create, vm_bind, dma-import/export

Xe_exec(queue0, ptr)//submit gpu job which use ptr, on card0

Xe_exec(queue1, ptr)//submit gpu job which use ptr, on card1

//Gpu page fault handles memory allocation/migration/mapping to gpu

As you can see, from above model, our design is a little bit different than the KFD design. user need to explicitly create gpuvm (vm0 and vm1 above) for each gpu device. Driver internally have a xe_svm represent the shared address space b/t cpu and multiple gpu devices. But end user doesn’t see and no need to create xe_svm. The shared virtual address space is really managed by linux core mm (through the vma struct, mm_struct etc). From each gpu device’s perspective, it just operate under its own gpuvm, not aware of the existence of other gpuvm, even though in reality all those gpuvm shares a same virtual address space.

See one more comment inline