RE: [RFC v1 1/3] mm/mmu_notifier: Add a new notifier for mapping updates (new pages)

Hi David,

> >> page

> writes
> >> to the
> >> zeroed

> there

> pages
> >>
> >> Note it will only fault in pages if HMM_PFN_REQ_FAULT is specified. You
> >> are setting that however you aren't setting HMM_PFN_REQ_WRITE which
> is
> >> what would trigger a fault to bring in the new pages. Does setting that
> >> fix the issue you are seeing?
> > No, adding HMM_PFN_REQ_WRITE still doesn't help in fixing the issue.
> > Although, I do not have THP enabled (or built-in), shmem does not evict
> > the pages after hole punch as noted in the comment in shmem_fallocate():
> >                  if ((u64)unmap_end > (u64)unmap_start)
> >                          unmap_mapping_range(mapping, unmap_start,
> >                                              1 + unmap_end - unmap_start, 0);
> >                  shmem_truncate_range(inode, offset, offset + len - 1);
> >                  /* No need to unmap again: hole-punching leaves COWed pages
> */
> >
> > As a result, the pfn is still valid and the pte is pte_present() and pte_write().
> > This is the reason why adding in HMM_PFN_REQ_WRITE does not help;
>
> Just to understand your setup: you are definitely using a MAP_SHARED
> shmem mapping, and not accidentally a MAP_PRIVATE mapping?
In terms of setup, I am just running the udmabuf selftest (shmem-based)
introduced in patch #3 of this series:
https://lore.kernel.org/all/20230718082858.1570809-4-vivek.kasireddy@xxxxxxxxx/

And, it indeed uses a MAP_SHARED mapping.

Thanks,
Vivek