Re: drm/vc4: module dysfunctional on Raspberry Pi 3B as of 5.18.0

> If I understand you properly, it results in a blank screen if the
> monitor is connected, but the system is still responsive?
Yes. Similar to (the other) Peter's findings, the system is fully responsive, it's just that the monitor is displaying a black screen. Meanwhile I stumbled upon another detail: when the problem is manifest, the monitor's LED displaying whether a signal is available keeps shining permanently. I does not start flashing as it does when an attached computer is switched off.

> If so, it's a very different problem than the link you provided, since
> it was occurring when no monitor was connected and resulted in a total
> system hang.
I didn't follow up things too closely. But I remember very well that I stumbled upon that thread "Linux 5.16.3 breaks headless Raspberry Pi 3 boot, again" while I was facing the exact same problem we're discussing right now. Also, some findings in the Arch Linux ARM forums were similar then [1].
The problem did disappear in 5.16.7 when some offending commit was reverted.

> I tested on 5.18 on my 3B and it works well. Could you paste your kernel
> configuration and config.txt somewhere?
Just done in a Mail which was supposed to respond to Stefan's first one, which went wrong. (As Stefan isn't subscribed his mail was lacking the usual headers like "In-Reply-to". So I started editing by hitting the link on top of [2]. But this didn't work.)

[1] https://archlinuxarm.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=15842
[2] https://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/dri-devel/2022-June/357819.html