Re: How should "max bpc" KMS property work?

On Wednesday, May 25th, 2022 at 10:35, Michel Dänzer <michel.daenzer@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > Mind that "max bpc" is always in auto. It's only an upper limit, with
> > the assumption that the driver can choose less.
>
> It seems to me like the "max bpc" property is just kind of bad API,
> and trying to tweak it to cater to more use cases as we discover them
> will take us down a rabbit hole. It seems better to replace it with
> new properties which allow user space to determine the current
> effective bpc and to explicitly control it.

+1, this sounds much more robust, and allows better control by user-space.
User-space needs to have fallback logic for other state as well anyways.
If the combinatorial explosion is too much, we should think about optimizing
the KMS implementation, or improve the uAPI.