Re: [i-g-t 00/14] Add IGT support for plane color management

On 2021-11-18 04:50, Pekka Paalanen wrote:
> On Mon, 15 Nov 2021 15:17:45 +0530
> Bhanuprakash Modem <bhanuprakash.modem@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> From the Plane Color Management feature design, userspace can
>> take the smart blending decisions based on hardware supported
>> plane color features to obtain an accurate color profile.
>>
>> These IGT patches extend the existing pipe color management
>> tests to the plane level.
>>
>> Kernel implementation:
>> https://patchwork.freedesktop.org/series/90825/

Are these tested and passing on any current or future Intel HW?

> Hi,
>
> it's really good to get these, but I am worried that the tests here may
> be too easy to pass when trying to ensure the KMS features work
> correctly and in the way real userspace is going to be using them.

In particular per-plane color management is mainly beneficial when
using HW composition, i.e. plane blending. I don't see tests for
plane blending.

Another thing that would be good to test is to make sure the order of
operations is as documented in the KMS API, i.e. degamma -> CTM -> gamma.
In order to test this it might be good to create a test case that sets
these operations up in a way that only yields the expected outcome
if they are implemented in this order.

Last, and likely not easy to test, is the precision or accuracy of the
PWL though I am unsure whether we can even test this at all with CRC.
It looks like we might be able to test this with the Chamelium to some
degree.

> I also found some things that looked hardware-specific in this code
> that to my understanding is supposed to be generic, and some concerns
> about UAPI as well.

I left some comments on intellisms in these patches.

Do you have any specifics about your concerns about UAPI?

Harry