dummy-backlight

Dear all,

I'm working on a simple kernel module currently called "dummy-backlight" (https://github.com/fepitre/dummy-backlight) which creates a testing backlight. After loaded, this driver allows to modify integer values of the virtual backlight created through its sysfs attributes directly.

In the context of the Qubes OS project, it allows to setup into a VM, a virtual backlight and managing the hardware backlight into the VM directly thanks to a communication channel with the host system.

I'm writing to you to know if you would be interested to have such module into kernel. Another name could be "virtual-backlight".

I've written a similar module for PSU too (https://lore.kernel.org/linux-pm/a8223cce-636f-578b-7304-eb0e4868e018@xxxxxxxxxxxx/) where a nice suggestion of improvement has been made to use a misc device for controlling attributes instead of sysfs directly. Indeed, it's appropriated in case of multiple PSU but maybe for a (only one?) "dummy-backligh", using two sysfs attributes is enough.

Any kind of improvements are very welcomed. Thank you.

Best regards,
Frédéric Pierret