Re: UDL device cannot get its own screen

2019. 10. 23. 9:42 keltezéssel, Pekka Paalanen írta:
On Tue, 22 Oct 2019 17:50:21 +0200
Böszörményi Zoltán <zboszor@xxxxx> wrote:

Hi,

I have the below configuration for an Intel based POS system that,
while advertises 3 outputs (DP1, VGA1 and HDMI1 with xf86-video-intel),
only two are usable. DP1 for the built-in touchscreen and VGA1 for
the external VGA connector.

I wanted to use an USB DisplayLink device as the 3rd output, with all
three output using its own Screen number, i.e. :0.0 :0.1 and :0.2.

The third observation is that while I am using this configuration below,
so the UDL device should be assigned to :0.2 (and active!), it is really
assigned to :0[.0] as an inactive output. See that there's no "*" indicator
set for any of the supported modes on DVI-I-1-1.

How can I set up 3 different Screens correctly for 3 separate fullscreen
applications?

I am using Xorg 1.20.4 patched with the "autobind GPUs to the screen"
patch from Dave Airlie that at least wakes up the UDL device and makes
it visible without extra magic with providers/sinks.

Hi,

for your specific use case, auto-bind is exactly what you do not want.
So drop the patch or (since the patch is in upstream master already)
use the option it adds to stop auto-binding.

With Option "AutoBindGPU" "false" in effect (equivalent of backing the
patch out) the UDL device does not get assigned to ANY of the screens.

I want it to have its own :0.2 bit that doesn't happen.

Thanks,
pq